[IP] Re:(IP) IV Drip

>>My understanding those is when you are that high and in DKA that insulin
doesn't lower you like it normally does.... So when in DKA don't
we require more insulin to do the same amount of lowering?<<

The higher the BG over 300, the greater the insulin resistance. When the BG
gets at 300 to 250, the IV drip usually gets lowered, and glucose is added to
the IV. At this point the insulin is doing a better job of moving glucose
faster into the tissue cells, so the risk of hypoglycemia is greater. With
DKA and an IV drip it is not recommended for the BG to fall faster than 100
per hour. Usually, 50 to 75 points is safer.
Barbara B.