Re: [IP] IV drip

In a message dated 6/11/99 6:53:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time, email @ redacted

 On the other hand, maybe the doctors arent that concerned about the roller
 coaster, and in most ERs I would imagine they arent...perhaps the fact that
 the insulin is going staight in to the blood makes it more potent.  But they
 DID put 10 units of insulin the bag...10 units lowers me about 500 points,
 they did give the right amount of insulin, ust were cautious in distributing
 it all at once - which makes sense to me...
My understanding those is when you are that high and in DKA that insulin
doesn't lower you like it normally does.  Back in Feb before the pump I was
in DKA and we initially tried to do it at home.  I needed 75 units by subQ
and it didn't do anything.  It brought me from just under 600 to 450 with
large ketones.  This was 25 units in 3 injections 2 hours apart.  Then I was
sent to the hospital and within 6 hours and insulin drip of about 20 units my
dh said that I was down to 300 with moderate ketones.  So when in DKA don't
we require more insulin to do the same amount of lowering?