Re: [IP] mircroalbania test (sp?)

    I see Sue has already "introduced" me, so I better respond! LOL....The
test is for microalbuminuria which is the earliest indication of changes in
the kidney's "basement membrane" enabling protein to leech out of the kidney
& show up in the urine. 30-300 mgs of protein is indicative of
microalbuminuria, but beyond the 300 mg level, it's labelled proteinuria. My
daughter had protein in her urine prior to diagnosis, so, according to a
researcher whom I spoke to at the JDF conference in San Francisco, she
probably has a "leaky kidney" to begin with- a condition that was exacerbated
by the diabetes. Nonetheless, given that ACE inhibitors are proving to be
incredibly beneficial in retarding or even stopping diabetic nephropathy,
it's reasonable to demand an annual urine screening, starting with diagnosis.
My daughter's scenario is an aberrant one, which confounds the issue of
whether or not everyone needs a 24 hour urine. The researcher felt not, but
my daughter's ped nephrologist felt yes and in fact, after her hospital begin
screening every child, she got 5 referrals for patients with protein in the
urine....either way, other than being mildly inconvenient, it's a
"no-brainer" test, and as I tell parents, it buys you the luxury of knowing
things are FINE - or - if they're not- of beginning intervention with an ACE
inhibitor which is (to date) considered a very safe & very effective
medication ( given in pill form). We all take our kids for annual eye exams,
so why not simply verify that the kidneys are ok too? The resistance many
parents are encountering from their doctors is attributable to preconceived
notions that diabetic complications NEVER arise before 15-20 years from
diagnosis...BUT....that's because no one really looked for them very early on
& even if they did, until the proven efficacy of ACE inhibitors, there wasn't
anything to be done.....The Australian resarcher to whom I spoke, Dr. Mark
Cooper, said that in his home country, where early intervention is standard,
instead of 30-40% of IDDM patients developing nephropathy cokmplications,
they've cut that figure to 15%. Interestingly, the ACE inhibitors are also
promoting beneficial effects for the eyes in staving off retinopathy and for
the heart in protecting it from complications. By the way, I've finally
compiled all of my conference research notes in a VERY long e-mail that I've
sent to friends. I didn't post it here because it would have used up too much
space, but if anyone cares to read it, e-mail me separately & I'll forward it.

Regards, Renee