Re: [IP] Discouraged

  Personally, I think 7 months between endo visits is a little long,
especially for an adolescent. If in fact, the teen years are when problems
start to show up (and I don't know if that is true or not), I would think
your sons dr. would want to see him more often, to help thwart off those
complications. My daughter goes every 4 months, but I'm not sure that is the
norm either. And just having an A1c -- what does his dr. usually do? Has he
had any other tests, like kidney function, cholesterol, thyroid, etc.? If in
fact, this is the age where complications start appearing, I would think his
dr. would be looking for them and doing some additional testing. We are not
at that age yet (don't know if I'll live that long with 3 teens!! lol), so I
can't say what additional test should be being done. But Amy has had her
cholesterol tested, and an albumin test, though not a 24 hour test at this

<<We discussed the pump, but for now Josh is changing his regimen from three
shots/day of Lente and Humalog to four shots/day of Ultralente and Humalog.
Supposedly, after one month of this he can get a pump.>>

4 shots a day is better than going on the pump??? What does your dr. want
Josh to do with 4 shots a day? Is he saying he wants to see better control
1st? That isn't the reason -- sounds like your dr. isn't as pro pump as you
would like him to be. What kind of a pump patient base does he have now? May
be time to look for a new dr.....
<< I am getting discouraged because just when I think it is going to work
out, something else is standing in the way.>>

I understand your feelings of discouragement -- sounds like you have reason
to be discouraged. DO NOT GIVE UP!! Keep talking about the pump with Josh's
dr. If necessary, make another appt., specifically to discuss the pump --
nothing else.

Isn't it amazing how little we truly know about a disease until it affects us
personally? What you have said is so true about the medical community in
general, which is why those of us that are parents of children with d and
those of you that deal with d personally have to take control when you are in
situations with "regular" medical personnel. I'm not bashing them either --
it's just a proven fact that unless you are extremely lucky, especially in
emergency situations, to have someone attending to you who KNOWS about d, you
will have to teach them. Many are very receptive -- some are not, so you may
end up in a situation that you have to fight for what your own proper care
should consist of. So far, knock on wood, (ouch, that hurt my head!), we have
been lucky to be able to control Amy's situations with the medical
profession. Partly due to the fact that she is a minor, so of course we are
there with her more, and partly due to the fact that though I really am a
nice person, people will get the feeling being around me that I am in control
of Amy's care, and they better not mess with me! haha

Keep pursuing this Annette -- do not let him keep you discouraged. You are
looking into the best possible solution, until a cure, for Josh.