[IP] Re: low blood sugar damage

> Sometimes the proof is in what people have seen happen in thier own
> families, with thier friends etc. I can tell you about numerous cases..
> BTW, We are not textbook cases or even studies. Stuides only show so much
> and they can be flawed.
> Ginny

OK, but none of those anecdotal cases has me convinced that low blood sugar definitely led to permanent brain damage.  How would the casual observer know??  How was causation established?  Studies may be flawed, but certainly no more so than someone simply observing a person having lows and then concluding that permanent brain damage has occurred.

In terms of the insulin shock therapy of old, as described by Michael, that does seem more like evidence.  However, I wouldn't necessarily equate shock intentionally induced with massive quantities of insulin in non-diabetic people with occasional insulin reactions (not involving seizures or unconsciousness) in diabetic people.  I need to know how the risk relates to my life, and horror stories about shock therapy don't help with that.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not denying that permanent damage can result from low blood sugar.  If it can, I certainly want to know about it in order to plan my treatment more wisely.  But none of the data supplied here so far has convinced me that it does occur and at what thresholds.  And, despite extensive reading, participation in the DCCT and EDIC studies at a university research center, and 13 years with Type I diabetes, I have never heard of this.  I think we need to be careful here about passing on information that is undocumented and possibly unfounded.

I would truly appreciate documented, factual feedback on this issue.