[IP] RE:IP:ketones

>>tell me of the significance of the presence
of keytones. I can always detect them when bg's are above 250. - the diastix
changes color up to about half way up.<<

The significance of ketones is that you don't have enough insulin and your
body is using fat to make glucose, but cannot use the glucose because there
isn't enough insulin. A vicious cycle. The by-product of fat burning is
ketones, which will cause problems with your electrolyte balance and you are
heading for ketoacidosis. This will raise the lower the pH of your blood
affecting the ability of your blood to transport oxygen. You will lose
potassium from your tissue cells, leading to muscle cramps, heart arrythmias,
abdominal cramping, nausea, and vomiting, and dehydration. As your BGs climb
from the lack of available insulin, you become even more dehydrated, and your
kidneys work overtime trying to rid the bdy of waste products and the extra
fluid load from the water leaving your cells trying to dilute the rising BG.
The rising acidosis and lack of O2 to your brain causes a major headache and
    There is more to this, but this is probably enough to encourage you to
test for ketones when BGs are over 250 at least 2 times in a row. When in
doubt, change it out (the set), and inject what is missing until you have a
new set in place. Then troubleshoot any other potential causes of high BGs
and ketones. On the pump, you don't have any long-acting insulin preventing
or slowing down this process
   I apologize for the length, but I tried to abbreviate the pages and pages
of physiology involved here.
Barbara B.