Ketones, was Re: [IP] Keytones

"Whitaker, Paul" wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Would someone be kind enough to tell me of the significance of the presence
> of keytones. I can always detect them when bg's are above 250. - the diastix
> changes color up to about half way up.
>  I'm not above 250 more than once in, say 10 days and then not for very
> long, are they dangerous at this interval?

Ketones are the result of your body breaking down your fat for energy.
If on a weight loss diet slight ketones are OK, if trying to be a stable
diabetic, especially a Type 1 they are warnings of danger.

For 1 thing, ketones are very strong solvents which are destructive if
present in the body in large quantities. They are what actually klls
diabetics in ketoacidosis caused coma. Think of it this way, ketones
are used in industry to strip paint and do heavy duty cleanup when
nothing else works.....so I doubt we want too much in us.
> There seems to be a exponential relationship between bg's and keytones - is
> this correct?

Not sure, but sounds plausible.
Ted Quick