Re: [IP] Hypo's in Non-Diabetic Individuals

email @ redacted wrote:
> I have a question that I hope someone may have an answer to.....
> Is it normal for people who are NOT diabetic to have low blood sugar??

Yes and no. There ARE chronic hypoglycemics, with 2 varieties:
Reactive Hypoglycemia, which happens about 2 hours after eating a meal
Fasting Hypoglycemia, which usually happens just before mealtime, particularly
> My 12 year old son (who is not diabetic), came up to me tonight and said he
> was feeling bad and thought he might be having low blood sugar.  Since I am
> diabetic and on insulin, I have taught him the signs and symptoms to watch
> for with both High Blood Sugar and Low Blood Sugar.  He said he felt shaky,
> weak, and nauseas (sp?).
> I tested his blood and his BG was 55.  I gave him a stick of hard candy and
> 40 mins later his BG was up to 100.   What I can't figure out is why he had
> the low reading in the first place.  He did not skip meals today, and he
> didn't exercise any more than he normally does.  At dinner, (3 hours before
> the low BG), he ate 5 slices of pizza and drank 2 sodas (regular).

Hopefully it's just something incidental. Only way to know is to check,
if the symptoms repeat.
> Should I continue checking his blood on a regular basis?  Everyday?
> Everyother day?...

Observation firsrt, test if it seems reasonable. Chronic hypoglycemia can be
very difficult to pin down absoutely, and many doctos disbelieve it's possible.
If it is actually present it could lead to diabetes eentually, especially if

Ted Quick