[IP] Discouraged

I wrote a few weeks ago about visits to the doctor.  My 15 year old son had
had his appointment changed twice (he hasn't been to his endo since November)
and I wondered how often everyone saw their endos.  Well, he had his
appointment yesterday.  No lab or urine tests- just an A1c (7.8).  We
discussed the pump, but for now Josh is changing his regimen from three
shots/day of Lente and Humalog to four shots/day of Ultralente and Humalog.
Supposedly, after one month of this he can get a pump.  I am getting
discouraged because just when I think it is going to work out, something else
is standing in the way.  The doctor did have a long discussion with Josh
about tightening up his control because he is rapidly approaching the age
where complications start showing up.  He said kids and adolescents seem to
have natural protection, but after they are mature they really need to have
tight control or they will start seeing complications.  I thought it was also
related to how long a person had been diagnosed regardless of age.   Anyway,
one final thought about medical personnel and diabetes.  I am an RN and I
will admit I knew very little about diabetes until my son was diagnosed 8
years ago (and I am still learning).  Oh yeah, we learned about it in nursing
school, but other than Type I and Type II, insulin shots, long term
complications, etc. I really didn't know much about day to day living with
D...and I sure didn't know anything about pumps.   The first one I saw was in
an ad in Diabetes Forecast.
Annette   (discouraged right now)  :-(