[IP] RE: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #196

I just have some comments to a couple of the messages in digest #196.

First, I too occasionally wear my pump tucked into my bra.  I am rather thin
and don't have too much to be proud of up front, but I wear my "wonderful"
bra (the wonder bra), which has a pocket in it with an insert (which creates
the illusion).  I just take that insert out and stick my pump there.  Even
if I don't wear my wonderful bra, I just stick it between myself and the bra
material.  I have, although, started putting my pump in a baby sock; it
absorbs sweat and keeps the pump clean and dry (prior to that, I had the
dustiest pump around what with all the deodorant dust on it).  Mind you,
though, I take the clip off so that I have a flat, smooth pump.  But, since
it is rather warm now, I have been wearing a lot of skirts with longer tops
so I just put the clip back on the pump and put it in the leather case and
attach it to my skirt and put a long shirt over it.  I feel if any one sees
the bulkiness either in my chest area or along my hips, they must have seen
something that looks good to begin with to notice either area in the first

Second, I have no problem reaching down my shirt and pulling out my pump and
bolusing for my meal if I'm eating lunch or a snack at my desk.  In fact,
one young attorney I work with has seen me two or three times either pulling
it out or tucking it back in.  He's aware that I have diabetes and knows
what I am doing.  Contrary to my earlier message about my "insensitive"
co-workers and their "ooooh, do you take shot!" comments, which I think
prompted the chain of DON'T TELL ANYONE I'M DIABETIC messages, he is one of
the sensitive ones and if he has a question about my care, he asks in a well
thought-out, meaningful way, and I appreciate that!  I just can't take the
people who ask the questions in a condensending way as if their thinking
"oh, I'm glad it's not me!"  Usually, they are fat and will, if not already,
have health problems in the future because they don't take as good care of
themselves now as I do with a chronic disease.

Third, I have one son (3-year-old) and I would love to have another some day
(soon, I want to have my second by the time I'm 35.  I'll turn 32 this
August).  I did not develop diabetes until I was pregnant and dealt with
gestational diabetes, which, I assume, never went away and I was diagnosed
with Type 1 one year after my son's birth.  After meeting frequently with my
diabetes educator, she always mentioned that I would be a good candidate for
the pump but the thought of "having something inserted into me" was more
than I could bear.  But after I got over the initial shock of having this
problem and looking more favorably at my future instead of having a woe is
me mentality, and having the strong baby urge, I decided on the pump after
much research.  I have a wonderful endocrinologist who is very
knowledgeable.  I feel in the next three years that if I don't have another
child, it will be because of lack of funds rather than my method of care and

Forgive me for sending these me, me, me stories.  I'm new at this and trying
to jump in and become associated with this group.