Re: [IP] Pump alarms

email @ redacted wrote:
> I have been posting about why my doctor doesn't want me to go on Humalog.
> One of the reasons was because I sleep through the alarms and we have had
> several in the last 7 weeks.  We were told by MM that the reason I am having
> so many alarms is because of electrostatic interference.  My son is on a
> variety of medical equipment.  Oxygen, feeding tube, apnea monitor, pulse ox,
> etc.  I handle alot of equipment made of plastics and metals that supposedly
> interact.  Are there any health care professionals here on the list that are
> having the same problems with their pumps and do you get a certain amount of
> alarms.  Obviously I don't just work with this stuff for 40 hours a week.  I
> am with it 24/7 and took them at their word.  Just wondering if others have
> had this experience and what do you all think I should do?

I'm not totally sure about this, but think you would do best to shield your
pump, perhaps with something as simple as aluminum foil wrapped around it
when near the equipment that causes trouble. The foil probably needs to be
grounded somehow to keep a charge from building up, which would tend to be

Ted Quick