Re: [IP] Re: damage from lows & seizures..........

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999 email @ redacted wrote:
> In February we were unable to awaken Laura from sleep so I checked her blood
> sugar and got a reading of 42.  She immediately began seizing on us and quit
> breathing.  I have wondered if the LENGTH of time she was low could have been
> a factor in the seizure as she has also been walking and talking with lower
> readings than that.
> Our pediatrician also threw out the idea that she may have actually been
> lower and she was on the way 'back up' when she finally seized.  Anyway, you

Not such a far fetched idea. I routinely check Lily every night at 2:30.
About once every month or two, she is low -- in the 30 - 50 range when I
wake her. Usually it takes enough glucose to cover about 100+ bg points
to get her back up to th 80 - 90 range, which would indicate that
1) either she was actually a lot lower and the blood flow to her
   extremities had been curtailed or
2) upon waking, over the next 20 minutes or so, some hormonal or other
   change occurred that would account for the preceptious drop.

I can't imagine what would have occured if she had been left to sleep all
night under those conditions. Clearly there would have been a major crash.

Only once has she been totaly out of it and had a seizure. Scared the
crap out of me, that's why I check. Many times it is obvious with these
lows that she has "internally" been lower than she measures initially
since there has been a clear rebound and she usually feel crummy after
this occurs. When we have been able to stabalize her bg's quickly with
lots of glucose and she's not had any evident rebound, she will wake in the
morning feeling fine.