Re: [[IP] What are the odds....]

email @ redacted writes:

<< ANYBODY who conceives a child is taking a risk -- there are lots of
 things that can happen to a child, not only DM, but many other diseases
 and accidents -- so the real question is, are you prepared to love your
 child, no matter what?  >>

Natalie, this was very well said!  You just never know.  Neither my husband
or I are diabetic, and we can't find anyone in either family who is either,
yet we have 3 out of 4 children diabetic so far.....makes you wonder.  We
never expected this but now that it's here we just "adapt".  I'll tell you, a
very close friend of mine has a son who was dx'd a year and a half before my
Steven.  I remember talking to her and telling her I could NEVER give my
child shots......well guess what?  After the shock of Steven's dx wore off we
just went on.  A year and a half after that we realized my next oldest son,
Brian was developing the Big D on New Year's Eve :-(  the shock still hit us
but we adapted once again.  I thought the worst was over until my oldest son
who just started Jr. High came home the second week of school feeling
ROTTEN.....I noticed things over the previous couple of weeks that made me
wonder, but upon testing we had a BG of 287 and he hadn't eaten since 10:30
in the morning (it was 3pm).  We again saw the endo who dx'd yet another one
of our boys.  My daughter is so far still fine and hopefully will stay that
way, but if she does develop diabetes down the road we will adapt once again.
 Coming from a family who never had this, we never expected this to happen 3
times, but you just NEVER know.  I have another friend who's hubby is a type
1 and they have 3 children ages 17, 13, & 9 and all three are fine thank the
Lord.  So you see, it doesn't really make that much of a difference because
I've come to believe that what's meant to be will be.  I think that's what's
gotten me through all of the boys dx's and will continue to sustain us
throughout whatever else is in store for us.

Good Luck in whatever you choose to do (for the person contemplating a second