Re: [[IP] What are the odds....]

earthlink.net> wrote:
Hi fellow pumpers

I am a type 1 pumper age 36 and have had diabetes since age 8.  Seven
mos ago my then 21 mos old daughter was diagnosed.  We are now trying to
make the decision whether to have child number two.  Part of me says we
ought not to think about the odds of diabetes and just get on with it,
but part is worried about bringing another diabetic into our family.
diabetic, type 1,had no family history, grandparents lived to very old
ages,80's to 105! I have 3 sons and my oldest was dxd at 15. My youngest has
been tested for the antibodies, they were negative. But he has severe
asthma.My middle son has not been tested for the antibodies, but inherited a
form of rare anemia from me. My mother has had 3 heart attacks and a stroke,
but fortunately I have excellent blood pressure and cholesterol levels. My
sons all also have diabetes, both types, on their paternal side. The % you
mentioned seem to be low.Of course any chance is frightening.I hope and pray
neither of my other 2 sons develop diabetes, but at least if they do, there
are dramatic improvements in care now and quite a few promising out looks for
a cure. Best wishes in whatever you decide.
Denise
dxd 1971
pmpg 6/97