Re: [IP] We want a pump (long)

Holly Nelson wrote:

>     I need to vent just a little.  Taylor (8 yrs old) went to a cub scout
> expo this weekend.  He spent 3 nights there and from what I understand had a
> blast--so why am I complaining?  Yesterday (Saturday) he started out the day
> with a 70 bg, realize he has only been dx for 3 months, and is still
> honeymooning.  Anyway, his dad was with him and was armed with everything,
> juices, glucagon, cheese and crackers, you name it.  His bg was remaining in
> the 50-70 range which resulted in extra carbs being eaten, well then all of
> a sudden at 3:30 his bg skyrocketed to 344, he was with his 13 yr old uncle
> who was a little uneasy with giving him an extra shot (we are on MDI) so he
> had him check for ketones, there were none and then had him do some extra
> exercise.  When they met back up with Taylor's dad he had decreased to 286.
> At that time (this is the part I wanted to cry at, being the mother of a
> young db, sleep deprived as I have worked nights all weekend and have gotten
> little sleep I am very emotional) they brought out the snacks, cookies,
> bars, etc.  Well Taylor just looked at his dad and said, Dad I'll just go
> look at them, but I won't have any cuz my bg is so high (sob, sob).  Luckily
> his dad had enough sense at that time to do some figuring and gave some
> extra insulin and let him have a snack (yeah!).  I was so angry at the who
> condition because here was a young boy who is still adjusting to the db,
> having a blast, when all of a sudden he feels like he is punched, and when
> he states "I'll just look at them I feel like I've been punched.
>     Anyway, sorry for the length of this but I am again sleep deprived.
> Wish us luck, we go see his endo June 24 to approach him about the pump.
> Keep your fingers crossed.  If I go into him a little sleep deprived and he
> says no we will have a war on our hands!! vbg.
> Holly

How many shots does he take a day??  Holly , I have been a diabetic for
about 7 years , and I am going on the pump incredibly soon. Anyhow , the
first months are tough with the d.  I hope you get granted for the pump.
Does your doc encourage the pump to people who want it??  Good luck and
the best to you!!

Steve