[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V3 #194

>Date: Sat, 5 Jun 1999 21:16:29 -0700
>From: "Whitaker, Paul" <email @ redacted>
>Subject: [IP] Now I'm Worried

>My AC1 results were discussed. My most recent, the result I received last
>week was 5.9, that's a big difference from 12.2 back in January when I was

The benefit of pumping is that your bgs will be more consistent and your
hgba1c can reflect a smoother level.  See, hgba1c of 5.9 is also the average
of 3.9 and 7.9, e.g., alternating hypo and hyperglycemia.  And the NPH is a
less predictable insulin than Humalog, so it will subject you to higher risk
of injurious hypos.

>So, can the insurance company override my Endo?

I would let the Endo handle all of it.  I hope and expect your Endo knows
how to couch her reports to get you what you want and need.

>Also, if I tell them the
>higher AC1 and then find out later by some means that I had withheld a
>number from them, can they demand the pump back, saying I got under false

Then show them your hourly bg test results.  I recommend not lying.

Richard in Austin, Texas