[IP] Quirks!

Sherry Webb Nolan wrote:
> I have not had any problems with complications, knock on wood, going 19
> years with type-1, but I do have my quirks.  I have never tested positive
> for Ketones, even with a blood sugar of 868. (snip) I have several other strange
> quirks that doctors can't explain but
> seem to happen.  Any one else have this happen?

Hi, Sherry --

I have often thought I was the ONLY one in the world with strange
quirks!! Of course, I know that can't be, but I get SO tired of
explaining to medical professionals that they can't go by the textbook
with me!

Especially with DM -- they HAVE to assign you to Type 1 OR Type 2, and
if you don't fit the mold, then they don't know what to do. So they try
HARDER to make you fit into one category or the other.

Also with the A1c -- it always amazes me to hear people, particularly
Type 2's on the other lists, talk about having a meter average of 90,
and never going above 140 at any time and having an A1c of 6.5!

Because I'm up in the mid 200's often enough to remind me on a regular
basis that I have diabetes, and my meter average is usually between 120
and 140 or so, and I STILL have an A1c of 5.0 - 5.5. (I suspect this
will get better the longer I'm on the pump, because I haven't had it
long enough to really see the full benefit, so far)

When I had my coronary artery spasm, the iso-enzymes were wacky, and
didn't give a true picture of what was happening -- the docs never did
figure out whether I had any heart damage or not because of it. (I'm
choosing to assume that I don't have any damage, but also doing my
darndest to avoid a real heart attack!).

As far as the DM, I think I'd rather be considered a Type 1 than a Type
2, because I really think Type 1's, in general, get better medical care
-- docs don't have to be convinced of the seriousness of the disease.
Type 2's often get brushed off and ignored, because in comparison, their
problems just don't seem as urgent.

The biggest issue for us quirky folks is to stay on top of our own
medical care, and not let docs make wrong decisions for us, assuming we
fit a mold or a category when we really don't.

Good luck!

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted