Re: [IP] DRI Monoclonal Antibody Trials - Today's Miami Herald

In a message dated 6/4/99 11:29:47 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< > > I have a question here.  Is this primarily for type 2's because I find
 > >  interesting the ethnic groups they mention. What is the proportion of
 > 1's in these ethnic groups? >>
 I seem to recall seeing some statistics on the ADA site and I think
 the National Institute of Health has some also. The web sites are
 pretty daunting so you'd have to really hunt for it.

This is from the ADA site:

Type 2 diabetes is more common among these ethnic groups:

African Americans. African Americans are 1.7 times as likely to have type 2
diabetes as the general population. An estimated 2.3 million African
Americans, or 10.8%, have diabetes.
Hispanic Americans. Hispanic Americans are almost twice as likely to have
type 2 diabetes. For example, diabetes affects 1.2 million or 10.6% of the
Mexican American population.
Native Americans. Overall prevalence of type 2 diabetes in Native Americans
is 12.2% vs. 5.2% of the general population. In some tribes, 50% of the
population has diabetes.