[IP] RE: donít tell anyone Iím diabetic

Well,... I grew up in Westport, CT, so I felt that always gave me a right to
me snooty about something (certainly not the normal Westport things!)  So
when people gave me that look with the question about "Do you have to take
shots?"  I always thought it was because they (and most of the country) are
so freaked out by injections, that THEY could never develop the skills and
guts necessary to take multiple shots everyday.

I also have taken on the "semi-superwoman" philosophy.  I've had diabetes
for 35 years, I have a talented ex-husband (actor) (and still a close
friend) and talented current husband (musician and NPR host) and the most
gorgeous talented 20 year old son (poet/musician) ever born.  (He was so
perfect, I never wanted another one!)  Plus, two wonderful retrievers, two
purrfect cats, and a fish pond of 11 well trained koi.
On top of that, I have a great job, graduate level education, earn
reasonable bucks, exercise 4-6 times a week, I'm active in cultural events
and charitable organizations, have a terrific social circle,...
AND I can take care of this chronic disease that devastates so many people.
So I never look upon those pitying looks that come from questioners as
pitying looks for themselves.  They know deep inside that they haven't done
half as much as I have and they don't have a chronic illness to complicate

Maybe I'm being Pollyanna but it's an easier way to live with the ignorance
out there.

Vicki McDonald
New Haven, CT
(Of course, I won't tell you what I say when they say "You can't eat that!")