Re: [IP] "Honeymoon Phase" & devestation at diagnosis....

Hi --

The honeymoon phase normally occurs shortly after diagnosis.  After a person
is diagnosed and begins receiving insulin many times the pancreas "kicks back
in" for a period of time.  Now just how much the pancreas kicks in and for
how long is always different for everyone.  Sometimes a pancreas will begin
working so well it might actually allow a person to not use insulin at all
but as in the case of my daughter (and most people) she just decreased her
insulin.  There is no telling how long hers would have lasted but a few
months into diagnosis she developed chicken pox (why I didn't give her the
vaccine, I have no idea) which bought her honeymoon to a screeching halt!  In
some it can last several years providing they have no major illnesses that
woud put a strain on their pancreas.

It has always bothered me that I didn't get the vaccine for Laura after she
was diagnosed but in retrospect, I realize our family was basically in
surival mode at that point and vaccines were the furthest thing from our
mind.   Having grown up the daughter of a diabetic I also struggled greatly
struggled psychologically when Laura was diagnosed.  Those of you who 'grew
up' with a diabetic parent can probably relate to that devastating feeling if
you found out your child was diagnosed also.

Sorry to have rambled so.....