[IP] HMO - pump

   I read your post and just wanted to share my experience with my HMO.  I am
a brittle diabetic but A1c had not been high 7's or the highest 8.  Do not
have a history like yours but did have very highs and lows (uncontrollable).
I asked my endo about the pump and he told me to call a MiniMed rep. to get
the ball rolling.  He said it was medically necessary as I am high risk and
my PCP agreed.  My HMO, Health Options in Florida, approved me for 100%
coverage.  I think I do better on my HMO then I ever did on regular
insurance.  My doctors are just wonderful and I get comprehensive and
coordinated care.  Really happy and hate HMO's being bad-mouthed by all my
friends not on one.  LOL
   I am elderly and probably not a Type 1 but not a typical type 2.  Type
Weird as someone has said on the post.  I am very happy with my pump and have
very few lows mostly if I overbolus.  Have found the Dual bolus extremely
helpful for my large meal of the day.  Really have much better control now
and can exercise and eat whenever I want.
  Wish you the best of luck and don't feel negative you may be very
pleasantly surprised.