Re: [IP] Diabetic Woman-Kathleen

At 12:16 PM -0400 6/3/99, email @ redacted wrote:
>I have two daughters 5 and almost 2 and would like a third child but peolple
>keep saying that I should quit while I am ahead and leave well enough alone.
>My mother especially is terrified that me being pregnant again will hurt my
>health or the baby's. I am so confused and need to make a decision soon-I
>will be turning 32 this October and have had diabetes since I was twelve.
>Thanks for listening

Hi Lisa,

I have two kids, ages 10 years and 20 months and when I decided to try for
a second, I had a long talk with my high-risk ob. about my health, etc. He
said that studies have shown that, for women with Type 1 DM, even if your
health worsens in some respects during pregnancy, say with lowered kidney
function, your body goes back to its pre-pregnancy health level after

Just thought you might want to take that into consideration.

BTW, I had my 20-month-old daughter when I was just 2 months shy of 40 and
had had DM for more than 25 years.

(Type I, 26 years, D. pumper since 10/95)