Re: [IP] Hypoglycemic episode in drs office

This reminds me of a horror story I had as well.  I was in George Washington U.
med center about 18 years ago.  I had an insulin reaction, BG about 55, and they
gave me 16 ounces of OJ and graham crackers, then gave me dinner and wouldn't let
me take any insulin.   I was on injections and didn't have my own with me.  I
became quite pushy, but they wouldn't do anything.   The resident got to my room
about 2 hours after all this started.  I told him my Glucometer reading was 270
(yes it was a original Glucometer, you had to squirt the blood off the stick with
water and then dry the stick before putting it in the meter).  I also explained
that I had foolishly accepted the over treatment and that the dinner would cause
my blood sugar to go up on its own.  He ordered blood drawn and wanted the lab to
test my blood.  By the way he believed my meter when it read 55.   Another 2
hours later the results came back, 256.  The resident came to my room with a
bottle of insulin and some syringes and told me to put them in my drawer.  Then
in what was nearly an apology, he said you would've handled this differently
wouldn't you, well, he said, that's not how we do things in hospitals.

The lessons I learned.  Bring insulin to the hospital and I'm in charge of my own
diabetes and need to use that authority.