[IP] Hypoglycemic episode in drs office

this is from weeks ago, but I am just now catching up...

by now, Kathleen, everyone has told you to be be glad you had it there and
not in your car or...or...or...and hopefully you are beginning to feel a
little better about the whole thing!

Just be thankful you weren't in a HOSPITAL when this happened!!!  Last year,
when i was at NYU and they thought I had diverticulitis, I went low (because
they kept changing the rate of flow on the dextrose IV without telling me so
I could adjust my basals...).  I asked for dex tabs - they didnt have any!!!
A couple of them didnt know what they were!!!  (This is NYU mind you - one of
the premiere teaching hospitals n the COUNTRY!!).  I asked for orange juice
and they said NO!!!  Can you believe this?  my bg was under 60, and going
down and they said NO.  I askd them to turn up the rate on the dextrose drip.
 They said they couldnt until the resident on duty came back on the floor!!!!
 I said call my doctor.  They said he was not on call.  I said give me some
orange juice NOW...OK I didn't "say" it, I demanded it...and they gave me a
cup rolling their eyes at the non-compliant patient who was not supposed to
have anything to eat...

As I am sitting in a wheelchair sipping my juice (I had to get up out of the
bed cuz they ignored my call button, and go down to the nursing station), the
resident walks in and has a conniption fit.  YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE
ANYTHING TO EAT!!!  he roars!!!  I told him, YOU AREN"T SUPPOSED TO LET MY
BLOOD SUGAR GO UNDER 100!!!!!!!   The next day, my endo yelled at him for
changing the flow rate without telling me...heh heh heh.  Moral of the story
for me...don't leave home, the office or for vacation without dex tabs!!