Re: [IP] Transplant organs without rejection

In a message dated 6/2/99 1:30:06 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<<Does anyone know if the University of Miami has a website that I can go to.
I am assuming they are not doing this at a University, but at a hospital.  I
definitely would be interested in having one of these transplants and would
like to see what the criteria is to become part of this trial. >>

I heard Dr. Harlan from the Naval Research Center (now at NIH) speak about
those monkeys with the transplanted islets at our local pump group in May.
You know, those monkeys were all surgically diabetic, and he said the first
trials will be of people diabetic from surgical removal of the pancreas (they
want to avoid any autoimmune destruction of the new cells, I think).  My
understanding was that the trials will be coordinated from the new Islet Cell
Transplantation center at NIH.