Re: [IP] Re: the Diabetic Woman

I had forgotten what I didn't like about this book until you brought it up.
There was some helpful info in that book, but I agree with the negative slant
on pregnancy.  In fact, I get tired of hearing so much negative stuff about
DM.  I am not naive.  I know bad things happen all the time with DMers.  I,
for one, try to remain positive and deal with life as it comes.  I am not
going to worry about what happens in the future.  I cannot control that
except by maintaining as good control as possible.  Are others sick of
hearing medical horror stories?  Don't get me wrong.  I want to know how to
prevent problems and I am always working on that, but I believe some people
just have bad luck or bad genes or both.  Most non-DMers only know DM as
related to bad situations.  A lot of medical people are like that too.  They
always want to tell you how so and so lost a leg or kidney or whatever.  Why
do people tell us this stuff?  Do they really think we don't know?  I just
smile and say something like there really needs to be a cure for DM.   ellen
p.s.  Just so I am not misunderstood here.  I visit many with DM
complications and I try to be supportive and helpful.  What I am talking
about are people who started telling me this stuff when I was young, long
before I had any complications.  Basically, I don't believe this info
motivates anyone.  In fact, it does the opposite.  This does seem to work
better with older people.  I guess fear is a good motivator for many, but not
for me.  ellen