Re: [IP] Diabetic Woman

At 3:00 PM -0400 6/1/99, Donna wrote:
>I wish I had heard your responses weeks ago when I asked about this book and
>becoming pregnant.  I just bought the book but haven't read very far in
>it.  Can
>you suggest another book that may be of some help.  My husband and I are just
>now trying.  I have already started the meticulous checking and tight
>control to
>prepare me for pregnancy.  I had heard that it was harder for diabetic
>women to
>conceive is this true?
Hi Donna,

I'm sorry I missed your previous question about the book. I've been kinda
crazed with deadlines recently. :-/

I do not have another book recommendation and I'll be curious to see if
anyone else does. I've decided that once my daughter gets a bit older
(she's 20 months now), I'm going to do a book proposal for a book on
diabetes and pregnancy, probably all three forms that affect pregnant
women, Types 1 and 2 and gestational DM. I did a search of books in print a
couple of years ago and didn't come up with anything. I think there may
have been one book in addition to "The Diabetic Woman," and maybe another
booklet put out by a DM organization.

I recently bought a booklet written by one of the nurse/practioners at my
perinatologist's office. It's sold by the March of Dimes and is aimed at
nurses, but, from the little I've read, it's got lots of info that is
easily understood by us know-it-all (or need-to-know-it-all) DMers. I'm
sure if you call your local chapter of the March of Dimes, they can get it
for you or connect you to someone who can.

That would be my only suggestion.

DM did not affect my ability to conceive. My first son was an "accident"
(just ask about my A1c oon that one!) and all my other pregnancies took me,
at the most, 3 months to conceive--except for my daughter, and it took 7
months to get her. However, I was 39 when I conceived her, so still under
the average of 10-12 months for women in their late 30s.

I did, however, have a lot of trouble with pregnancy loss. In between my
son (now 10.5) and my 20-month-old daughter, I lost a son at 22 weeks due
to premature rupture of the membranes and had 3 1st trimester miscarriages.
My perinatologists assured me that none of these losses were due to DM.

Sorry this was so long! Good luck with everything. I know there are lots of
DM moms on the list to answer any questions on pregnancy. :-)

(Type I, 26 years, D. pumper since 10/95)