Re: [IP] that darn dawn phenomenon - HELP!

> I don't know over what time frame you are doing the testing, but you
> need to get data every hour or so. It can be on different nights but
> you must stagger the test times so you can develop an overlapping
> data set. The finer data set must be collected using the same basal
> rates on each collection run. The purpose is to make sure there are
> no hidden lows/highs and to provide enough data to accurately set the
> basal. The data set should be normalized to the starting bg of the
> first data set. Make sure that she has fasted for at least 5 hours
> and no boluses prior to starting the test period.  Don't try to do it
> 2 days in a row, it is to hard on the 'victim' and will mess up the
> data collection. Allow at least 1 or 2 days of rest. The basal rate
> will probably not be flat as you have set it.

I understand how to do this, but thanks for the refresher.  My problem
has been waiting for a "vanilla" day to then do the testing the next
day.  In the four weeks Kayla has been pumping, her numbers are fitting
into a smaller range, but still too wide (40's - low 300's vs. 30's to
500+).  We've only had the two days I used the stats from in my earlier
post that came close to a narrow range of BG's over a 24 hour period.

> Try the basal projection tool on the HOWTO web page

I tried this yesterday morning and got a little closer to a flat
pattern, but realized I needed more data to fine-tune it.

> If you like, I will be happy to assist you with the data reduction
> but will be away on vacation next week. Email me the data if you
> wish.
Thanks for the offer, but I think we've got another situation now!!  For
the past 3 days Kayla has been hungry all the time.  Normally her meals
are all she needs and she's fine.  Her blood sugars during the night for
the past 3 nights have also been soaring over 400 from midnight to
4:00am.  I think she's hit a growth spurt.  That child is going to be
over 6 feet tall at this rate!  So, we'll just ride this wave and then
try again when things calm down.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted