Re: [IP] morning insulin resistance

 Actually I tend to have a strong spike right after breakfast, even
if my BG
> is relatively low... that's why I went the added bolus route. If I raise
> the basaltoo much I tend to be too low before breakfast, especially on the
> weekends when I wake up later. So I use the bolus which is more flexible.
I'd be willing to bet you can separate the 'spike' from the meal if
you test carefully.

Eat a known small carbo meal and measure the total insulin required
to bring your bg's to the prebreakfast level.

Repeat with a known high carbo meal.

If you do this a number of times, the difference between the two
meals should allow you to calculate the acutal ratio for the carbo in
the meals and see the insulin required for the 'spike'.  You will
probably find that the meal ratio is really pretty close to your
daytime average and that a bolus or 'incremental basal adjustment' is
necessary as you eat your first meal of the day. This may vary if you
get up at different times such as weekday (early) vs weekend (late).

I'd be interested in your results should you choose to do this.

Michael <email @ redacted>
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted