[IP] Survey says . . .

Hi.  I've been mostly lurking, but reading and learning like crazy.  This
is such a terrific list!

No earthshaking problems this afternoon.  I seem to have more-or-less made
peace with my tape strategy, and while I'm still fine-tuning, I'm not
feeling quite so frustrated about it.

Just a bit of curiosity . . .

I have noticed that what others said before I started pumping has turned
out to be true for me as well:  I am able to eat more normally.  But this
got me to wondering *why* that should be the case.  (I'm a Virgo; and I DO
analyze!)

Like most pumpers, I was on MDI B.P. (before pump).  Unlike some MDIers
(who don't like needles), I thought nothing of taking an extra shot . . .
or two or three . . . if there was something that I really, really wanted
to eat.  But, I didn't feel . . . well, "normal."  And there were certain
really sweet and un-nutritional things that I never touched.

It's not that I'm totally porking out now that I'm on the pump.  I'm sure
I'm eating less overall, and I'm pretty sure I've lost some weight.  But
there are a few food items (if you can dignify them with the term "food")
that I have felt free to eat lately, which I never considered eating during
the past 23 years.  Example: a Dairy Queen Mister Misty Slush, which was a
favorite summertime treat of my childhood.  I had a cherry one last night!
Boy, it was good!  I won't want another one for awhile, but didn't realize
that I had missed them so much!

But that really sparked me wondering why we feel so much more freedom
pumping.

Here are a few possibilities that have occurred to me:

1)  It's more convenient to bolus than to take a shot, so there is less of
a psychological "bump."

2)  You don't have to worry about what your long-acting insulin is doing.
You put in just enough insulin to      take care of what you ate (or are
going to eat).  So you feel more confident that what you are doing is
actually going to work.

3)  You can bolus in precise increments.

4)  You're never physically separated from your insulin supply.

What do you guys think?  What makes the big difference for you?  Is it just
that you don't have to take extra shots, or is there something more going
on here?

--Laurel (celebrating my 6-week pumping anniversary tomorrow!)

----------
> From: Daryl & Melissa Davis <email @ redacted>
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: RE:  [IP] I'm Official!
> Date: Saturday, May 16, 1998 3:00 PM

aura about it.<<<<<

Congrats on the start up Laurel!  Funny, but when I tried the pump with
saline for a few days, I noticed the same thing!  And Kristina did too
when I let her sleep with it one night!  She made the thing a bed and
little blanket to sleep with!  hehehehehe  That feeling must be why
people are soooo attached to their pump!  LOL  Keep up the good work!!

And Hugs and Prayers for your lost kitty!  We're missing one too!  and
he NEVER wanders away from home!  Since we're way out in the country,
I'm afraid a snake or other animal may have gotten him...  my worst
fear!  Hopefully it isn't true though and he'll come home soon!

Melissa

send the next two lines in a message
info
end