Re: [IP] Morning insulin resistance

Sam Skopp wrote:
> I've noticed an interesting phenomena since starting on the pump (almost 3
> weeks). My insulin requirements are definitely higher in the morning and
> lower in the afternoon. I've always known that I am definitely not a
> morning person... but this seems to add physical reality to it. I've set my
> basals higher in the morning until about 11 am and I've finally figured out
> (duh!!) that I also need to use a lower carb/insulin ration for breakfast,
> than I do for the rest of my meals. As an example if I use 1 unit/15g for
> lunch and dinner I need to use about 1 unit/12g for breakfast (I'm still
> fine-tuning that one). I also have a slightly higher basal in the eary
> morning hours to compensate for a definite dawn effect.
> So, am I the only one that has noticed this? (I always knew I was weird,
> but didn't thing that I was THAT weird...)

You're about as normal as can be. Many people, diabetic or otherwise, have
Dawn Phenomenon, which is the normal body's habit of dumping some glycogen
(which becomes glucose) into the bloodstream to give you the OOMPH to get
started in the morning. Non-diabetics get energy from this when their body
naturally responds with insulin, we just have problems with it.

It's 1 of the more common problems for diabetics, and it's a large part of why
pumps need adjustable basal rates.

Ted Quick
email @ redacted
Type 1 for 42+ years, MM506 pump for 4.5 years
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted