Re: [IP] Update FAQ on Disetronic

In a message dated 6/25/98 2:00:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:
>>Some of this info is also inaccurate (underlined below)
<< I chose and bought the Disetronic because I understood it to pump at higher
 pressures (making clogging less likely), to deliver boluses faster (the
 Minimed's gear delivers one- tenth of a unit per cycle, while Disetronic
 uses a motor actuated screw drive that seems infinitely adjustable).  This
 means that delivery of my 6.5 unit bolus may take three minutes with the
 Minimed, ten seconds with the Disetronic.  The European design and operation
 of the Disetronic appealed to me more than that of the Minimed.
 Neither of the machines are particularly newly designed; having remained
 roughly the same for some ten years.
 I think the Minimed has 4 bolus rate adjustments; the Disetronic has 12.  I
 personally only use 3.
 There's a posting of Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about pumps appearing
 on the newsgroup misc.health.diabetes which is pretty good about both pumps.
 As I recall, there were several inaccuracies about the Disetronic (probably
 owing to the age of the publication) including citing an inability to
 increase / decrease basal rates: these are adjustable in 10% increments; and
 the availability of Teflon catheter infusion sets (which I highly recommend;
 man is not meant to have metal needles permanently attached).
 I also recommend using glass insulin cartridges because the insulin levels
 are more easily observed through clear glass and the Disetronic clear
 cartridge panel.
 >> Barbara B.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted