Re: [IP] hot days and insulin

Connie,

I wouldn't worry so much about the heat in Florida as the smoke--hack,
hack.  I'm not sure if you've been following the news in Florida, but
rampant forest fires have consumed some part of every county in
Florida.  And the worst of it is in north central Florida - right above
Disney.  I live about 4-6 hours away from the fires, yet the smoke HERE
from the fires is choking first thing in the morning before the winds
blow it out to sea.  I don't mean to ruin your trip, just check out the
status of the fires before you go.

About the insulin at Disney -- Disney is actually hotter and more humid
than Savannah because, well, it's in Florida and because of all that
stupid black asphalt all over the place!  I still wouldn't worry about
the insulin, but I would recommend drinking lots and lots of water.  You
will get dehydrated so quickly if you don't constantly sip water.  Keep
in mind that Marisa's insulin requirements may go down, WAY down while
at Disney.  If you go for a second day, her insulin needs may go UP.
Weird.  I'm not sure of the details why, but we were warned of this by
our CDE and sure enough, that's what happened.

Disney also does not allow you to bring in outside food, but we did and
when questioned about it we explained the diabetes, showed the medic
alert bracelet, and they had no problem with it.  So you may want to
consider bringing your own food where you know the carb content.

Have a great trip, and bring your oxygen mask - just in case!  ;-)

Kasey
email @ redacted