Re: [IP] Update FAQ on Disetronic

-----Original Message-----
From: George Lovelace <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Cc: email @ redacted <email @ redacted>
Date: Wednesday, June 24, 1998 11:16 PM
Subject: [IP] Update FAQ on Disetronic

>the FAQ on insulin
>pumps is getting a bit outdated. It's last update was in 1995 and the
>information that it had on the Disetronic pump was outdated, putting it

My .02:

I emailed the following several months ago to diabetes world listserv

I have used the Disetronic H-Tron-Plus V-100 since the first of December.

Hey, I even bolus while driving.  The audible signal beeps mean I can bolus
without even removing the pump from its case or my pocket and looking at it.
I can take
a bg finger stick value of 140 (don't try this while driving), and infuse
half a unit.  Twenty minutes later I'm 120 mg/dl.

I chose and bought the Disetronic because I understood it to pump at higher
pressures (making clogging less likely), to deliver boluses faster (the
Minimed's gear delivers one- tenth of a unit per cycle, while Disetronic
uses a motor actuated screw drive that seems infinitely adjustable).  This
means that delivery of my 6.5 unit bolus may take three minutes with the
Minimed, ten seconds with the Disetronic.  The European design and operation
of the Disetronic appealed to me more than that of the Minimed.

Neither of the machines are particularly newly designed; having remained
roughly the same for some ten years.

I think the Minimed has 4 bolus rate adjustments; the Disetronic has 12.  I
personally only use 3.

There's a posting of Frequently asked questions (FAQ) about pumps appearing
on the newsgroup misc.health.diabetes which is pretty good about both pumps.

As I recall, there were several inaccuracies about the Disetronic (probably
owing to the age of the publication) including citing an inability to
increase / decrease basal rates: these are adjustable in 10% increments; and
the availability of Teflon catheter infusion sets (which I highly recommend;
man is not meant to have metal needles permanently attached).

I also recommend using glass insulin cartridges because the insulin levels
are more easily observed through clear glass and the Disetronic clear
cartridge panel.

The Disetronic salesperson in my region (central Texas) is a type 1 iddm in
his early 60s, who is a pharmacist.  He had some great advice including
using site preps (alcohol rubs containing a shellac to glaze the skin and
make the infusion sets stick better) containing antibiotics.  He sent me a
box of Smith Nephew IV preps with Triclosan.  Also he persuaded me very
early to give up on using needles for infusing myself.  They were very

I use the Accu-Chek Complete Blood Glucose Meter, which I think is about as
advanced as there is now; perhaps the next generation from the One Touch
Profile, which I also use.

Their representative said Accu-Chek is working on a blood sampler to be used
in conjunction with (and directing control of) insulin pumps.  Their partner
thus far in this endeavor is Minimed.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted