[IP] Wayne--Why Humalog is so fast

In a message dated 6/24/98 10:23:15 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< My question I guess was perhaps a bit more scientific, i.e., what
 is it about H that makes it diffuse more rapidly that R?  >>

OK, I was partially right earlier (and so were you).  I dug up the article I
was thinking of and have copied the pertinent portion below.  It is from the
ADA Forecast article entitled "at the controls with lispro" from the Nov. 97
issue.  It can be found on their website.

How'd It Get So Fast?

In the vial, human Regular insulin molecules exist as hexamers--six molecules
of insulin are bound together with zinc. This delays their absorption.

Insulin is a protein, and proteins are made up of amino acids. Lispro is
similar to human Regular insulin except that two amino acids, lysine and
proline (in positions 28 and 29 on the beta chain of insulin), are reversed in
order. As a result, molecules of lispro bind only weakly with each other. In a
vial of lispro, some insulin molecules cling to one another, but they come
apart very quickly after injection. Therefore, lispro is absorbed more quickly
than Regular.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted