Re: [IP] Continuing Humalog / Velosulin saga

In a message dated 6/23/98 8:16:58 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< H just gets into the blood
 faster (for reasons I've not seen or heard explained).  The H molucule does
 seem less stable than R, so it is easier to denature (break down) and
 become less effective a an insulin and more likely to clump.
 	If anyone knows why H diffuses through the tissue and capillary
 wall faster than R I'd appreciated hearing that. >>

I'll take a stab at it.  In the Humalog molecule, the amino acids in positions
28 and 29 in the b-chain are reversed (these are lys<b28> and pro<b29>, hence
its name). This causes a "weak link" in the chain, enabling the molecule to be
broken down into its components much quicker than the more robust Regular
insulin molecule.  It is when the molecule breaks down, that the blood glucose
lowering effect is started.

I'm sure there is "a bit more to it" than that, but this is the general idea.

Mary Jean
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted