Re: [IP] "borderline" hypoglycemia

> John,
> This is probably accurate for the people who are diagnosed with "classic
> hypoglycemia", as my husband puts it.  As we understand it, a non-
> pancreatically challenged person will have a slight rise in bg upon eating
> simple sugar.  A diabetic person will have a great rise.  A person who is
> "hypoglecemic" will actually have a decrease in bg upon eating the sugar.  It
> is very rapid and soon after eating the sugar.  I once had a neighbor with
> this problem.  My husband, on the other hand, has a flat response. He has
> undergone several glucose-tolerance tests and this is the result.  Seems
> nothing he eats causes his blood sugar to rise.  We have checked it often and
> it has never been over 85.  However, if he goes several hours between eating,
> he will have a fairly sudden and severe drop in bg.  This occurs 3-4 hours
> after eating.  Thus, he eats frequently to avoid crashing.  We have always
> described this condition as "borderline" hypoglycemia.  I'm not sure if it is
> related to his pancreas cranking out too much insulin, or if his liver is
> holding the glucose hostage when it is needed.
> MJ

Hmmm... that's interesting. I'd vote for the liver not releasing the
glucose. Perhaps the insulin threshhold below which the liver dumps
glucose is too low. Seems like he has it all under control though.

It does sound a bit like what my girlfriend has. She's slim, eats like a
horse, very fast metabolism, and HAS to eat every few hours. She even
gets up in the night for a snack sometimes.

We'd been going out for a while when I asked her once whether she
regretted having a boyfriend who had diabetes. Not at all! she said.
With you I'm guaranteed regular meals! Of course, since pumping, I'll
happily go all day without eating, whilst she is moaning about when
we're going to have lunch...

Speaking of being pancreatically challenged... I have a colleague who
had chronic pancreatitis last year. His pancreas, instead of producing
digestive enzymes for the gut, decided to digest itself instead. Yuck.
He now has to take digestive enzymes with his meal. He's been told
insulin production will most likely fail in the near future, but he's
not yet diabetic.

I'm not sure whether to encorage him to go straight onto a pump if this
happens or try MDI first. He works as a singer like myself.

Any advice?

mailto:email @ redacted

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted