Re: [IP] "borderline" hypoglycemia

email @ redacted wrote:
> This is probably accurate for the people who are diagnosed with "classic
> hypoglycemia", as my husband puts it.

That's actually Reactive Hypoglycemia, nothing clasic about it... <G>

As we understand it, a non-
> pancreatically challenged person will have a slight rise in bg upon eating
> simple sugar.  A diabetic person will have a great rise.  A person who is
> "hypoglecemic" will actually have a decrease in bg upon eating the sugar.  It
> is very rapid and soon after eating the sugar.  I once had a neighbor with
> this problem.

Yes, too much insulin released in response to glucose input does that to

My husband, on the other hand, has a flat response. He has
> undergone several glucose-tolerance tests and this is the result.  Seems
> nothing he eats causes his blood sugar to rise.  We have checked it often and
> it has never been over 85.  However, if he goes several hours between eating,
> he will have a fairly sudden and severe drop in bg.  This occurs 3-4 hours
> after eating.  Thus, he eats frequently to avoid crashing.  We have always
> described this condition as "borderline" hypoglycemia.

It's actually Fasting Hypoglycemia, a different aspect of the same problem that
causes Reactive Hypoglycemia. As I understand it his pancreas puts out too much
insulin for needs just before the next meal. Perhaps it is caused by too little
glycogen in storage to carry through, always thought it was more uneven insulin

Try going to:
which is a webpage in Holland for hypoglycemia, or
another webpage about the same subject.

Hope that helps clear some confusion for him.

Ted Quick
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted