Re: [IP] Insulin Resistance in Type 1 diabetics

In a message dated 6/21/98 1:23:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<<  but I was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic and consider myself very insulin
 > resistant
 > I take about 1:5 ratio insulin/carb... and that's on a good day..
 > Someone told me, wow, that's as much insulin as a type 2 diabetic takes.
Theoretically, since Type 1 and Type 2 are two different conditions, it is
possible to have Type 1 in a Type 2 body, especially if there are family
members  with Type 2.  Adolescence is often accompanied by insulin resistance
because of "raging hormones".  Our endo has several Type 1 patients doing well
with the newer oral medications that help minimize insulin resistance.  And
then there is a group of Type 2 in children that often gets mis-
diagnosed...called maturity onset diabetes of youth (MODY)...relatively
uncommon, but has a lot if insulin resistance.  So your question is good one.

Barbara B.
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted