Re: [IP] Insulin Resistance in Type 1 diabetics

Forrest Green wrote:

> This may sound sound like a stupid question...

Not possible, any question you need an answer to is a smart question.

> but I was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic and consider myself very insulin
> resistant
> I take about 1:5 ratio insulin/carb... and that's on a good day..
> Someone told me, wow, that's as much insulin as a type 2 diabetic takes. and then
> I wondered
> hmmm.. I wonder if the drugs they have for type 2 would help for type 1 insulin
> resistance..
> I know it's a different mechanism.. but just curious.. anybody know anything
> about that?

Yes, I've been a Type 1 since '56, and was taking Phenformin, which has since
been
replaced by Metformin, to moderate my insulin. Don't know if I was exactly
insulin
resistant, but it worked for me for 13 years.

Anyway, I took 2 capsules a day, before breakfast and supper, in parallel with 1
shot of Globin insulin, a medium slow insulin long since eliminated by
competition
(not enough customers) that was somthing like Lente or NPH. That was ALL my
medication,
no mixed insulins or extensive shot schedules. Of course it may not have been as
efective as we thought, since home bg testing wasn't available, but it DID make
an amazing difference in my control. I went from being my endos worst controlled
patient to his best controlled, and stayed that was.

Some endos have started using this regimen in various places, suggest it to your
doc, OK?

Ted Quick
email @ redacted