Re: [IP] Protein and Fat????

I'm the person who used that meal as an example.  When I included the
carbs in the salad dressing, butter and roll it came to about 40 carbs.
I bolused Humalog on a 1:20 ratio instead of my usual 1:10 ratio due to
the below 100 pre-meal BG.  In spite of the extra precaution, I still
went low.  This phenomenon happens quite often -- but not often to
change my normal basal/bolus rates.  So far nobody has been able to
figure it out.

As to the protein/fat -- if you eat very much protein/fat in your meal
it has a tendency to stretch your carbs out longer (i.e. pizza).  Some
experts are even saying that part of the protein eventually converts to

Hope this helps answer your questions.

<< I have a question,..Is it just me, or maybe a Canadian thing, but I
positive that all the times I have been to or seen a Diabetes
Nutritionist I
am sure that the only thing I needed to count in regards to carbo's were
starch foods. Protein doesn't have any effect on blood sugar as well as
I am very slim and was basically told not to worry about my fat intake
(don't bother counting it), and to limit my protein consumption due to
possible kidney complications down the road. I even have the Good Health
Eating Guide plastered on my fridge and there is nothing about counting
protein. This is in response to the woman that bolused before her dinner
salad, lamb chop, and a roll. I would go low too if that was all I'd
There is maybe 20 grams of carbo's in that dinner. This is not the first
time I have seen reference to protein increasing blood sugar. I have
many Dieticians and spent a great deal of time working out my ratio, and
never did I/we count protein or fat. Can somebody explain? Thanks!! >>

		If your Bible is in good shape ...
		Your life probably isn't!

E-Mail - mailto:email @ redacted

"Sue's Plain Vanilla HomePage"