Re: [IP] Not under such great control

Kimberly:

Like yourself, I tend to have irratic bg levels, and like yourself, my
hba1c readings have come down since starting on the pump (Dec 97), but are
not yet (and may never safely be) in the 5-7 range. (I do have goals of
this, though!).

I think that it is really important for you to accept how your body is
(irratic) and react to its needs. In particular, don't let your body upset
you, but rather make the decision to humour its idiosyncracies. This sort of
an attitude puts you in some amount of control. (When things go wrong for
me, I almost always extract myself from the situation and say to myself "Ok
(body), that was special - what on earth are you going to do next?". Then  I
figure out how I'm going to react to the problem).

By the way, for me, the greatest advantage of the pump and Humalog  is that
if things go out of kilter (and they do!), it is much easier to remedy the
situation. I still feel that my body does whatever it likes, but at least I
have tools which allow me to react (relatively safely) to what the body has
done - ie., to exert some control over it. This is very different from the
first 28.8 years of my diabetes where I felt as if I was often being held
hostage by a dose of long-acting insulin which was taken perhaps 30 hours
ago...

Take care, and don't even think of anorexia!

Celia