[IP] 19 years today

Hi all,

Today (June 19) is the 19th anniversary of me being diagnosed with
diabetes.  I was 13 at the time and really had absolutely idea what I was
in for.  Luckily, I got my pump when I was 18, which made life easier in
some ways and has undoubtedly kept me alive during the times I did nothing
but change the site.

This is a very strange anniversary for me, because it is the first one
since I have started to take care of myself.  I joined this list at the end
of December and have done at least 3 blood sugars everyday since the
beginning of January.  This is by far the longest I have ever managed to do
this.  My HbA1c has decreased from 8.9, where it has always been, to 7.7,
which I know is not great but it is going d-o-w-n.  And after all these
years ignoring diabetes, I just got another clean bill of health from my
opthamologist, which leaves me with no complications (so far...).

This is the first year I haven't stuffed my face and thought about
everything I have lost and how miserable life is.  Instead of feeling like
I have suffered for 19 years, I feel like I have fought many demons and
have come out ahead and know that I can keep doing so.  All this positive
thinking (HA!) is making me dizzy.

So thank you to everyone on the list that have helped me, either directly
or indirectly.  It really does help to know that I am not alone in this and
that we can all help each other, often way more than professionals who
don't REALLY know what we deal with.  I was obviously ready to change and
am very grateful to have found such a wonderful resource.

I still need to figure out my basal rates, get more exercise, lose 40
pounds and find an endocrinologist I can relate to, but now I KNOW I can do
it.  I just need to find the time...    :')

Sorry to be philosophical but I guess today really showed me how much my
mindset has changed in the last 6 months, so much for the better.  It just
boggles my mind to think that I talk to people about diabetes now, and even
have a web page about it.  Bizarre.

Thanks for being there,

Vancouver, BC, Canada

send the next two lines in a message