RE: [IP] Continuing Humalog / Velosulin saga

> (My doctor and I discussed the cocktail idea, and decided against it for
> now.  We're going to wait and see if any "real" data comes along about the
> effects of mixing the insulins like that.  For now it just seems TOO
> experimental to us...)

I believe it's wrong get between anyone and their doctor, if that
relationship is good, or to "push" them into doing something.
Information here is take it or leave it.

But how is mixing H & V too experimental? Many of us have tried this
with very positive results. Your doc has already overstepped the line by
letting you use Humalog in the pump, since it's not yet FDA approved for
that use...

The explanation of this effect is not known, but one good theory was put
to me:

Humalog is not human insulin: it's been genetically changed slightly,
and the body's immune system eventually decides this stuff if foreign,
so it isolates the infusion site with antibodies, killing some of this
foreign stuff as soon as it arrives. Hence the rise in bg's. The process
takes a day or two to start up, by which point you have to change site
to keep a step ahead.

This is no problem if you are injecting the stuff as it's soaked through
the fat and gone from the system within a few hours - not enough time
for an immune response to start.

If you add a trace of real human insulin to the Humalog, the immune
system is persuaded that this insulin is OK after all, so the immune
system attack doesn't happen, or is delayed by a few days.

There are also insulin receptors in the fat, which may be responsible
for triggering the rejection response when the Humalog doesn't match
precisely the template for the insulin they're expecting. These would be
pacified if they DID receive a small amount of normal insulin.

These are just ideas, but it would be wrong to write off the whole thing
as inexplicable and so a figment of pumpers' imagagination.

mailto:email @ redacted

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted