[IP] Which Pump Should I Buty???

I have been on a Mimi-Med 504 for seven years without a problem with the
pump.  Now, the internal battery has gone (borken, worn out) and I am told
by Mimi-Med that this is the end of my 504.  I have always been pleased
with this pump and am now confronted with the issue of which pump should I
buy.  The latest Mini-Med or the Disetronic.

The Mini-Med people say that the 507 has a fifteen year life span.  I
wonder why the Disentronic has two pumps?  I know the obvious answer is in
case there is a problem but are they in fact building in a limited life
span and only using the two pump system as a teaser for those buying.
Also, someone told me that each Disetronic has an internal clock which
starts counting down to zero from two years.  Therefore, each pump has a
life span of two years.  Apparently, this can be extended for an additional
year on each pump after sending it back to the company for reprogramming.
(At the owner's expense).   The total lifespan on the Disetronic pumps
should therefore be six years.  This hardly seems to compare with the
Mini-Med 15 year life.  (I guess the pump companies realize the lack of
profitability by making the pumps last a lifetime!)  Has anyone on the
Disetronic found this to be true???

I have no predetermined ideas about which pump is better and I never fully
trust the salespeople.

I look to my fellow pumpers for their insight on the above.  The high cost
of these lifesaving machines makes the decision an important one.

PJB in Niagara Falls
----------
> From: email @ redacted
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] MiniMed 507C
> Date: Friday, June 19, 1998 11:12 AM

Sue,  I agree with you about disetronic and nothing new.  However,
listening
to all this stuff from the minimed people about false alarms and no
delivery
and not being able to hear it and the bulky sport guard, I'm glad I have a
disetronic.  I have had only one problem with the disetronic, when I first
got
it, which was quickly resolved and have had no problems since.  It sounds
like
minimed needs to send the second pump more than disetronic.  Perhaps I have
misjudged minimed.  Has anyone out there that has been on the pump for at
least a couple of years never had a problem with minimed?  I am just
curious.
BTW, I love my disetronic pump and I am really griped that my dr. has been
bought off by minimed and therefore won't put any more patients on
disetronic.
ellen
send the next two lines in a message
info