Re: [IP] Cornell News: Dry insulin inhalant

Kasey as one who is closely involved with lung research,  I don't think
there is much chance of damage to the bronchi.  As I understand it, the dry
insulin preparation just kind of dissolves then passes through the airway
epithelium into the blood vessels in the airway.  The amount delivered is
easily controlled, since all of the powder in a dose is inhaled and
deposited during a breathhold.   Of course in the long term, there may be
something analogous to what Bob calls "tissue hardening" , which is
probably some kind of allergic reaction.  And I don't think potential
absorption problems with ongoing lung disease or infections has yet been
looked at.
	I also agree that more money should be spent on going after a cure.
Now maybe if they could aerosolize some beta cells, have them take root in
the lung,,,,, we could be coughing up insulin whenever we needed it :-)
Seriously, from the literature I have seen, the most promising potential
cure is to find some way to encapsulate beta cells to isolate or protect
them from our nasty immune system.  Let's keep our fingers crossed, and
keep the donations going to JDF.

<<<<<<<From: Kasey Sikes <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IP] Cornell News: Dry insulin inhalant

> I also fear too many questions remain unexamined. The bronchi are very
> sensitive, and there is no data whatsoever on long-term effects. It must be
> an incredibly fine powder -- and how do you reliably control the amount
> that makes it to the lungs where it can be absorbed into the blood stream?
> Depending upon various individual factors, including ear-nose-throat
> issues, it seems this would be difficult to regulate.

I'm also wondering about the long-term effects of inhaling a powder into
the lungs.  Seems like it would damage the bronchi.

I like to keep up to date on the advancements in diabetes management,
but each one makes me wonder why those dollars weren't spent researching
for a cure...

email @ redacted>>>>>>>>

Wayne Mitzner
615 N. Wolfe St.