Re: [IP] Battery Life, Carb counting.

In a message dated 6/18/98 6:29:41 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< 2nd question.  How do you determine how much carbs are in various
 foods?  For example, I know the books say that a donut has X carbs but
 my experience has shown that each different donut seems to have its own
 amount of carbs and they are not anywhere near each other.  Also, the
 best ones don't come with nutrient information provided.  Please don't
 tell me to stop eating donuts. >>

You should weigh the donuts.  To learn how much carb is in a donut, take a
brand which DOES come with nutrional info and figure out how much carb per
ounce (or gram) is in the donut. (Or, look this up in a book, and take the
average of several brands)  Next, try Brand X which doesn't have nutritional
info and use the same number of carbs per ounce as the known brand, weigh the
brand x donut and multiply by this number.  This should put you in the
ballpark, even if the brand x donut is a lot larger than the other brand.
There may be a slight difference in the carbs per ounce between the two
brands, but I'm willing to bet that most donuts are pretty close.

There is also a Howto on the insulin pumper's website about how to figure out
the carbs for recipes which don't have nutritional information.  You might
want to take a look at it.

Mary Jean
send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted