Re: [IP] Nathan's Progress Report

At 06:20 PM 6/17/98 -0400, Ted Quick wrote:

>> Also, have anyone been diagnosed type II, and on their way to type I?
>>  That is what we are possibly going through right now!
>Never seen that happen, since they ARE 2 distinctly different
>diseases with different causes. Type 1s have lost all insulin making
>capacity because the auto-immune system killed off the Beta cells that
>make insulin. Type 2s suffer from any of a variety of things, often
>insulin resistance, sometimes mismatch of insulin output with needs or
>such. There is no way to go from Type 2 to 1.

As I understand it, some of this confusion may result from the fact that
some Type IIs eventually require insulin. There is a misconception that all
insulin users are Type I, hence the thought that you "progress" from Type
II to Type I if you eventually require insulin.

Bob Burnett

mailto:email @ redacted

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted