RE: `[IP] About low blood sugars

Wayne,...I use milk for my night-time lows because it takes the BG up slowly and keeps it at an even level.  I learned EARLY in the pump game that treating a hypo by eating everything in sight just doesn't get it!!! for me anyway....
I HAVE LEARNED that it is a gradual rising and falling of BG since on the  pump...took me a long time (after 31 years, that was a hard habit to break...LOL)
I think that this along with everything else that we have to learn is a YMMV thing....Just my .02....
Barbara,  I think this use of milk to treat BG lows may be ok for
nonpumpers, but there is little logic in using it to treat lows of someone
on a pump.   When you are low, the only objective is to raise the BG to
normal levels as quickly as possible.   The best thing for this purpose is
to give glucose.   Milk is not recommended because is takes longer to work
and has a longer effect.  If you still had some NPH kicking around in some
unknown way it might be ok, but this is not relevant to pumpers.
	The problem that seems to occur with most diabetics , including
myself, is that TOO MUCH glucose is taken.  (Don't all those candy bars
taste good though!!).  I've gotten better since on the pump, and now make
an effort to take only about 15 g of glucose if i'm too low, and then just
wait 10 min.  If I drank milk, I would have to wait longer and they worry
about being too high later when the protein kicks in.
P.S.  I still eat those candy bars occasionally, except now I bolus in
advance for them :-)

<<<<<<<<Subject: Re: [IP] About low blood sugars

In a message dated 6/16/98 8:25:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,