Re: [IP] Mixing of Humalog and Velosulin

>      I understand what you are saying about the tail but am still confused
>      as to how to make the adjustments. I have 7 different basal rates set
>      at this time. About 2 1/2 hours after lunch by bg goes from 122 to
>      between 170-202 and keeps creeping up even after small boluses to
>      cover for it. At dinner last night my bg was 99. I had my husband wake
>      me around 12:30 a.m. to check my bg and it was 65. Much better that
>      the 20 and 21 experienced on the two prior a.m. crashes. It's almost
>      as if the insulin is sitting in a pocket and dumps all at once. This
>      morning my bg was 120 which was at 5:20 a.m. At 8:50 a.m. this morning
>      I bottomed at 49. Any additional suggestions or comments?
Lily had kind of the same problem about 6 months ago when she did one
of those adolescent basal shifts. She switched back to Velosulin for
about 3 weeks while we got her basal rates sorted out. Basically we
went back to square 1 and re-profiled and carefully adjusted all her
basal rates, trying to minimize the number - got down to 4. Then she
switched back to a 5:1 mix and we just adjusted the times forwared to
compensate for the difference in onset between H and V. Worked like a
charm. The most disconcerting thing is the large shifts in basal
requirements throughout the day. 0.4 to 1.2 at 1am, 0.9 to 0.4 at
11am. So..... don't be supprised if you find something like this as

While on V, she had to bolus for meals 45 minutes to 1 hr prior to
eating, and even then her post prandials sometimes were as high as
200 but would return to normal at the 4 hour mark after her meal.
This does not happend with the H/V mix and she can bolus when she

I don't think there is an easy way to get basals adjusted when you
get in this kind of fix.  It took the entire 3 weeks of measureing
every couple of days to get Lily's straightened out.

send the next two lines in a message
to the e-mail address: email @ redacted